March 8, 2010

Assignment 2; Product Review

picture courtesy of Google


If you are staying anywhere around Petaling Jaya or had always spent your weekend wandering around the flea market in Amcorp Mall please do not tell me that you have not been to the place in the picture above. No, anyone? See, if you had been there before you would have guess what my review is going to be on but if you have not been there, then read on and I will make sure that you are clear about it and making BookXcess your first stop right after you finish reading this.


a.     Like any other bookstore, BookXcess sells a wide ranging of books. They have books for youngsters such as Little Miss and Mr. Men and Enid Blytons’ series. Besides that, they also provide books for teenagers and that include The Angel Uncovered Series and Brisingr. For romantic book lovers too, they have 4 racks full of books that include popular authors such as Cecilia Aherns’ and Paige Toons’. As for fiction lovers too, they had a few rack of them that includes popular author like Stephen King. Other than that, they also sell health book such as Pilates for Beginner and not forgetting people that are looking for special interest book like Digital Photographic Capture or those who are into gardening, biographies and even reference book for students! For this review, the target audience would be those with interests as stated above and cannot afford the usual price at standard bookstores.

       Maybe what stated above has not quite catch your interest yet but let me ask you this, how many times have you wanted to buy books and when you turn it over to look for the price tag, you decided that it is too pricey so you decided to put it back.  As for me, a girl with a fixed monthly allowance, I admit that it had always happened to me whenever I was at standard bookstores like MPH, Kinokuniya or even Popular Bookstore but that was before I found out about Book Xcess. The first time I was there, I decided to just take a look around and when I turned one of those book to read the review, the price tag caught my eyes and I gasped, not being able to say a thing but making nonverbal communication trying to catch my brother’s attention while mouthing to him that the book is very cheap. Yes, I repeat, very cheap. I ended up spending more than RM100 and being member of the shop the first time I went there since I was too excited buying books. Why not kill two birds at one time, right?

Plus, unlike the shop next door to BookXcess which sells second-hand books, BookXcess sells a brand new book in a terrific condition, only with low price. When asked why is their book very cheap, the assistant explained that it is because of publishers sometimes overprint their books and cannot sell them to standard bookstores so they received those books at discounted price, that is why they can sell us good books at such low prices.
c.  
For people with limited money and still wished to buy books, BookXcess would be a perfect place for you because you can not only get your desired book with low price, bear in your mind that it is also brand new.  However, since they received their supplies from publishers with overprinted books, we have to wait for quite a while before it is up for grab in the bookstore compared to other standard bookstores. For example, when I wanted to get my copy of PS I Love You by Cecilia Ahern, I had to wait until around one month before getting my own copy of a cheaper PS I Love You.

To avoid burdening the customers, having to pop up every week at the stores when they are waiting for the book they desired, Book Xcess had listed their booklist at their website and it is updated every time new stocks came in which is usually monthly. However, the negative point of it is that even though we could scroll through the list of wide range of books, we could never find local books in the list since BookXcess’s suppliers are all international.


the membership card.

Other than that, despite the cheap books they are selling, I think they should have given more discounts for their members. To get a membership card, customers have to spend more than RM100 in a single receipt and after being a member, they will enjoy 5% discount on purchases of RM50 and above or 10% discount for purchases RM150 and above.  If you ask me, they should make the point collection system like Bonuslink because sometimes people just cannot afford to spend their RM50 only for books and plus, if it is the point collection system, customers could enjoy benefit like exchanging the points to books when their points has reach certain amount and that way they will feel more appreciated rather than buying something less than RM50 and not being rewarded anything. Talking about members being appreciated, BookXcess’s member is given priority when it comes to being notified when new stocks came in and members are always the first to be informed when they are having their sale through e-mail.
d.   
d.
Despite having to wait for certain books to be sell in the store, I would say that BookXcess still gets my vote compared to other standard bookstores since it offers wide range of books at a very low price. With low price like they have in BookXcess, I am sure the rate of Malaysian readers will increase because I believe that sometimes people wants to read but they cannot seems to afford books with such high price at standard bookstores, like me!

some of the books I purchased in BookXcess.
Testimonials:


"These two Edward Monkton er.. picture books cost 5.99 POUNDS on Amazon.co.uk, which comes up to almost fifty ringgit! EACH! And guess how much I got them for at BookXcess? RM14.90 EACH." -Eyeris.
"I just found book xcess today and I'm simply amazed at the variety of books they have and the impressive quality of service. I love the atmosphere there....such freedom of spirit! Wish there were more outlets all over the city & country." -Audrey.




"It is true that their books are cheap. It is not purely a claim! I am addicted to books there xD" -Aimee.


With all the impressive testimonials above, I doubt that there is anything else to  add. What are you guys waiting for? Grab your purse and rush to BookXcess now!


Contacting BookXcess:


click thumbnails for larger image.







_________________________________________________





REFERENCES

BookXcess, FAQ. BookXcess. Retrieved on March 3, 2010 from http://www.bookxcess.com/

Time Out, VenuesBookXcess. Retrieved on March 3, 2010 from http://www.timeoutkl.com/books/venues/Book-Xcess

3 comments:

.iN. said...

interesting! maybe next time i would go there to find a books.

ONE NIE ASH BURN said...

me too..i rarely go there..
next time i should visit it often..

Plant for the Earth said...

you guys should! they're moving a few stores away this saturday, a bigger one too and they're having a sale!

Interactionist